Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Listen...

We all like to talk but it's also a good idea to LISTEN.  And I've learned the best thing to do as a runner is to listening to my body as I train.  Lately I've been noticing some IT band soreness in my right leg.  The good part is that this is happening during a recovery week during my training which allows me to decrease my training and focus on my IT band at the same time.

And if this wasn't a training week?  Well, it'd be difficult but I know now I'd need to do the same thing - decrease training and focus on the getting better.

One of the important lessons I've learned is that when your body talks back during training, listen to it.  If not you'll end up doing more harm and set yourself back even more.  I personally experienced this in the fall when I kept pushing through pain (not soreness, but real pain) and ruined my chance of running my first half marathon.  Luckily I was able to run a 5k on race day instead.  Waiting at the finish line for all of my friends to finish I felt twinges of emotion as I wanted to be out there running the half with them.

Recovery was long and slow...but it was longer and slow than needed if it had to be if I had decreased my training and got help when I first realized something was wrong.

So when you're hitting the pavement remember to listen...

No comments:

Post a Comment