Friday, December 31, 2010

Change

I wasn't planning on writing a year end post, but the more I look back at 2010 I figured I'd throw a few things out here.

I started running in April. Since then I've logged 400 miles, an average of 44 miles per month (over 9 months)! I was injured in September and only logged 8 miles that month, otherwise my total might have been a little higher!

I've ran 7 "official" 5 km (3.1 mile) races. The first was the Let's Get Physical 5K in May where I finished in 27:20. The last one I ran was on Thanksgiving day. I finished in 22:21...almost a 5 minute improvement from my first 5K! Next up for 2011 is a 10K in January and a marathon in May. I'm sure I'll get a few other races in there as well!

Since I started running my body has made an amazing transformation. I've lost about 60 pounds since the beginning of the year which has made a huge difference in many aspects of my life. To put it another way my BMI has gone from obese (yes, I was obese) to overweight to normal in 2010. It hasn't been easy but I've enjoyed not carrying around the extra weight. I've also enjoyed running more than I'd ever image!

The change I've made has made a positive influence on my kids. My daughter and I have gone on a few (short) runs and I've noticed that both of my kids have developed good eating habits. I look forward to getting to run more with my daughter and hopefully start running with my son this next year.

Now the reason for this post. I'm not writing this to boast about my accomplishments. I'm writing this post in hopes that someone, somewhere might read what I've accomplished in 9 months and decide that they can make a change in 2011. A change to eat better. A change to exercise. A change to be disciplined. A change to not throw in the towel when there's a day full of bad decisions, but know that tomorrow is a new day with new choices to make.

Tomorrow is a new day, a new year. Will you make the decision to change?

No comments:

Post a Comment